Wednesday, August 24, 2011
day 24 (part II) = nothing like matzo ball soup to kick a cold!
on our way back from barcelona, i came down with a killer cold. i had no energy to leave the house or eat much of anything (which is shocking because we both put on a ton of weight on the cruise). all i wanted was matzo ball soup. so, sweet charley picked it up from a restaurant for me the night we returned and then went to the grocery store the following morning to buy me the ingredients so i could make some for us at home. it came out fantastic, i knew i married him for a reason :)
since i was exhausted, i took the easy way out on this. here's what i did:
- boil water in a large soup pot
- slice 1/2 a large onion and throw it in
- dump in a 16oz bag mini carrots
- cut and dump in 2 celery stalks
- add a few sprigs of chopped parsley
- toss in 6 chicken legs
- add 3 bay leaves
- dump a bunch of salt, pepper, basil, and oregano
- add the soup mix from a package of "manischewitz matzo ball and soup mix"
- set to boil and then simmer
after 1-2 hrs:
- mix the matzo ball mix package with: oil, water, and eggs as directed on the box
- put in refrigerator for at least 30 mins
- bring the water back up to a boil
- drop into BOILING water (essential for fluffy matzo balls)
- season further if needed
- reduce to simmer for 1/2 hour or more
it has been two days of eating this and i am not tired of it. in fact, i am looking forward to having it again for lunch tomorrow. i don't feel guilty about eating it as it is lite and filled with healthy things that taste great. sarah wanted it as she was not feeling well and it must have made a difference as she is feeling better now!