i made this a few months ago for a bbq and it went over so well it was requested again for tomorrow's labor day party. nancy, this one's for you -- my secret is now yours!
i doubled the recipe and the total cost today (without the dressing ingredients because i had them on-hand) was $18.71.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon white sugar
- 12 oz rotini pasta, cooked
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (4 ounce) can whole black olives
- 3/4 cup sliced pepperoni sausage, cut into strips
- 1/2 jar pepperoncini
- 1 head broccoli
in a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic powder, basil, oregano, black pepper, and sugar. add remaining ingredients. toss until evenly coated. cover, and chill overnight.
(if you don't like a lot of dressing and want to see what it tastes like first, reserve 1/2 to 1/4 for later use. you can pour it over the pasta salad the next day or keep it for your dinner salad!)
don't be fooled. it won't taste very well the day you make it. it really needs to marinate overnight to get the full effect.
if you are looking for something lite and refreshing i would highly recommend this. it is perfect for a bbq or picnic.